Whenever my dad said the words ‘coffee’ and ‘cake’ together, I always went for a latte and a millionaire shortbread. That was always my choice. The gooey caramel paired with the soft crumbly base and hard chocolate on top was a match made in heaven and I couldn’t get enough. Now that I’m vegan and health-conscious, I wanted to create a healthier version of this decadent treat.
I was invited around to a neighbour’s house for dinner and I was allocated dessert to whip up and bring over. In a bid to show off veganism, I wanted to create a heavenly pudding that both tasted naughty and was actually pretty alright for you too. Thus, I decided to create a healthier version of millionaire shortbread, and that’s where this caramel slice comes in! For the base, I thought of using hazelnuts for a crunch and a delicious nutty taste, paired with caramel-like medjool dates and coconut oil, it tasted exactly like those old school slices I used to munch on and wash down with coffee.
Now, by no means is this something you can enjoy all the time though – It’s packed with copious amounts of dates and nuts and is covered in dark chocolate. So yeah, it is decadent and is made with healthy ingredients, but they do have lots of sugar in too, so limit yourself (just a little).
So without further ado, let me introduce you to my Hazelnut Caramel Slices…
What you will need:
For the Base
- 300g Hazelnuts
- 150g Dates
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 15 Medjool Dates
- A dash of water
Chocolate Top Layer
- 280g Vegan Dark Chocolate (note: most dark choc is vegan, but check the back for sneaky added milk powder!)
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
The recipe is super simple…
- Begin by lining a square baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Blitz the hazelnuts in a food processor until they are slightly larger than breadcrumb size. Add the oil and dates and blend again until the mixture is sticky. It should all stick together when squished together, so if it isn’t, consider adding a few more dates or some more oil.
- Spread the nutty mixture on the bottom of the tray, patting it down with some force with the back of a spoon so it all sticks together. Chill in the freezer whilst you make the caramel layer.
- Next, blend up the medjool dates and add a dash of water to create a thick caramel consistency. Spread this over the base layer. If it sticks to the base, chill the hazelnut mixture in the freezer for longer so it is solid and won’t get pulled up when you’re spreading the thick caramel.
- Next up, chocolate! Break up the dark chocolate bars and melt it in a bain marie (boil water in a saucepan and place a glass bowl above – the best way to melt chocolate without it burning!). Add the coconut oil until it’s all melted together and smells like you’re in Wonka’s factory.
- Smooth this decadence over the top and chill again.
Once it’s all solid, cut up your creation into little slices and gobble them up! Nibble on these babies as an afternoon treat, devour as a healthy dessert or wake up and begin your day with a delicious naughty breakfast. Keep in the fridge so that they don’t melt!
If you make these caramel slices, be sure to tag me in them so I can check them out!
Until next time,